Sunday, April 24, 2011

What would You Bring with You?

About five years ago, my family and I had a house fire. We felt displaced and totally lost. We had lost many of our possessions, but thankfully no one was injured. Family, friends, and neighbors all pitched in to help us. Whether they gave us a kind or encouraging word or made us a meal, people were there to help and it truly meant a lot to all of us. At that point in time, I gained a new perspective on life. I really felt what it was like to be homeless. It a was a frightening and disturbing feeling.Surprisingly, however, I feel that that dreadful experience made me less materialistic. I now realize that things, such as televisions and computers, are just things in the grand scheme of life. Our families, friends, beliefs, and happy memories are what keep us going and moving on through life. This also brings up a question in my mind: what were the things that were dear to me that were worth saving? I remember trying to grab my mother's wedding photo album, my pictures, my bible, my animals, and my father's acoustic guitar. Those things had some sentimental value to my family and me. To this day, I always count my blessings and prioritize what is most important in my life. What is important to me are not those things that I was able to salvage from the house fire, it is my family.
Vocabulary:
displaced: move from its usual place
encouraging: helpful
possessions: things one owns
injured: harmed or hurt
frightening: scary
disturbing: upsetting
dreadful: horrible
materialistic: having to do with material things; superficial
grand: big
perspective: point of view
Activity:
Using at least 2 of the vocabulary words, write about the things that you own that are of importance to you. Why are they important to you? Why would you bring those things? Be specific.
Grammar Point: I italicized the family, friends, and neighbors to show where to place commas when you are listing items in a sentence.
Grammar Activity: Pretend that you will go shopping. Write a few sentences that contains a list of items in a sentence using commas.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I am so sorry that you and your family had to go through this. I always think of the things that I would want to grab in this such case. It is so hard to think of what is most important to you. I remember when I was in highschool, there was a family whose house was stuck by lightning and it caused a huge house fire. I am so glad that no one was injured in your family during this awful event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, It really is true that we need to remember the things that are truly important to us. Unfortunately, most of us forget those things in the bustle of life. I've often thought about what I would save if I had to, and it is the things you said, my photo albums and those types of special things. but, the most important thing, of course, would be that my family was safe and that God is still present when everything else is lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a dreadful, frightening experience! I am so glad you all came out of it well. Ever since Katrina I have been thinking about what I would evacuate with -- my cats, my family tree, my laptop w/thesis, and Mom and Chris. I guess everything else could be replaced.

    ReplyDelete