Sunday, March 6, 2011

How Embarassing!

            Embarrassing moments can truly leave a burning mark on a person. The most embarrassing moment that I had resides in my memory to this day and I can remember it as if it had occurred yesterday. It happened my freshmen year at Molloy College. I was coming from a mathematics class that I was taking and going to an English class. I was running a little late for my English class so I was in quite a rush. I remember only thinking about getting to class promptly. I was headed for Kellenberg. At that point, I was racing to the class. Then, all I remember is descending the stairs and then feeling airborne. I was falling. I slammed right into the wall and collapsed to the ground. I recall a concerned professor leaning over me asking if I was alright. I responded deliriously to her saying, “I just need to rest for a moment, thank you.”
Vocabulary:
embarrassing:   feeling self-conscious
resides: live
occurred: to happen
quite: really
rush: hurry
descending: going down
airborne: lifted up in the air
slammed: hit
collapsed: fell
deliriously: confused 
Activity:
Directions: Using the vocabulary above, fill in the blanks with the correct words.
1) The airplane became ______ once it lifted off the ground.
2) The girl fainted and _______ to the ground.
3) At the four-way intersection, two cars ____ into each other.
4) He was running late to work and had to ____ to get to work on time.
5) What happened to me was so ________ that I turned bright red.
6) She _____ resides in Brooklyn.
7) They were _______ the stairs very slowly.
8) A special event had ________ the other night at the school.
9) The woman was so tired, she _________ responded to the question.
10) Going on the ride at the amusement park was ____ exciting!
Grammar Point: Here, I italicized the quotation to show how to put quotations around a direct quote.  
Grammar Activity: Write a journal entry containing at least one direct quote using quotation marks.

No comments:

Post a Comment