Sunday, April 24, 2011

Mickey and Mantle

I really love animals. However, my uncle takes the cake when it comes to being fond of animals.The other day, my mother received a call from my uncle. To her surprise, it was not just any phone call. My uncle had called to inform us about his two new additions to the family. These new additions are actually baby squirrels. I could not believe it! Squirrels? Many questions were whirling around in my mind. How did he manage to get these squirrels? My uncle is actually a breeder; he breeds parakeets. Apparently, my uncle was out gardening and he heard a strange noise coming from the shed where he houses the birds. He set out and searched for what was making the noise.To his delight, he found two abandoned baby squirrels. Since then, my uncle has been raising the two babies. He has been feeding them a mixture of milk for puppies and baby food. They are getting bigger everyday and they are little rascals. They love to climb on whoever is holding them and love to cuddle with each other in the pouch that my uncle made for them.  Even though he is not much of a baseball fan, he decided to name the two squirrels Mickey and Mantle.
Vocabulary:
fond: to like
surprise: shock
inform: to give information about something
whirling: twirling and moving around quickly
apparently: evidently
parakeets: small birds
search: to look for
strange: unusual
abandoned: to leave alone
rascals: things that cause mischief
Activity: Unscramble the vocabulary words.
Reference:
http://www.superkids.com/aweb/tools/words/scramble/scramble.cgi

 

SuperKids Word Scrambler

  ScrambleAnswer
1fdon  
2ecahsr  
3salarsc  
4abeadnnod  
5sartneg  
6mirofn  
7hignwirl  
8eateprsk a  
9tpapeylrna  
10seirrusp  
Grammar Point: Synonyms are words with similar meaning. Instead of using the word love, I used the word fond.
Grammar Activity: Think of a word to describe yourself. Then, think of two synonyms for that word. Use a dictionary to help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment