Sunday, April 24, 2011

Northport

Have you ever had a special place that you really enjoy frequenting? Did that place bring you joy? Well, this special place for me is Northport, Long Island. It is about 40 minutes away from where I live. It has such a quaint town that is very nice to walk around. It is also by the harbor. I absolutely love walking down the pier and sit and watch the sailboats go by. It is so peaceful. In Northport, there is a very cute diner called the Shipwreck Diner. The food there is absolutely delectable. If you ever get a chance to go to that diner, try the quiche. It is fantastic. I find Northport to be so inspiring that I have written a poem about it.
As I walk down the pier, I feel the salty breeze brush against my cheeks.
I am in love.
This place, this charming place, is a place I long to see and be and makes me content.
When I am not there, my hearts sails across the sea to be there and my mind
whispers to my heart that I belong there.
Take me away, heart, to the place I want to be. To the place where I feel and can be . . .me.
Vocabulary:
frequent: visit often
quaint: charming
harbor: protected inlet for ships
pier: landing place over the water
quiche: hot, custard pie made with cheese
charming: nice
content: happy
whispers: talk quietly
belong: be a part of
inspiring: arouse a feeling
Activity: 
Fill in the blanks with the correct vocabulary word:
1. I walked on the _________  over the water.
2.At the ______, I saw many anchored ships bobbing up and down in the water.
3. I would love to try the delicious ________ that has cheese in it.
4. Her story about helping the poor was so _______ that I would love to help as well.
5. I would love to _____ to the club in school.
6. We have been so _______ because we have been on vacation. 
7. In the library, the girl _______ or talks quietly to the person next  to her.
8. The town is so ______ , ________, and nice. 
9. All of the kids in town like to ____ the movie theater.
Grammar Point: Antonyms have opposite meanings. For example, an antonym for content is sad.
Grammar Activity: Think of a word. Make a semantic map with the antonyms for that word. Use a dictionary to help you.


No comments:

Post a Comment