Sunday, April 24, 2011

Planting Fields Arboretum State Historic Park



This past Thursday my family and I went to the Planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay, Long Island. It is truly a beautiful place to visit. It was the estate of the Coe family. The Coe family purchased the property in  1913 for $750,000. The estate is now under the control of New York State. My mother's favorite part of the estate is the Camellia House. It is a greenhouse that has the original camellias purchased by William Coe. My father is quite partial to the orchid room in the main greenhouse. I really love going to the Tea House and Italian Blue Pool Garden! Evidently, the Italian Blue Pool was originally the site of the tennis court and tennis house. This I found to be interesting. I strongly recommend going to the Planting Fields Arboretum. If the weather is nice, pack your picnic basket and quilt and prepare for the most pleasant day.
Vocabulary:
arboretum: a place where many kinds of trees are grown
estate: piece of land with a residence
truly: really
purchased: buy
greenhouse: heated glass building where plants are grown
original: first
partial: favoring one over the other
evidently: apparently
recommend: suggest
pleasant: very nice
Activity:
Using at least three of the vocabulary words, write about your favorite plant or flower. What does it look like? What does the flower or plant remind you of? Draw a picture of your favorite plant or flower.
Visit this website to get some inspiration: http://www.plantingfields.org/
Grammar Point: Exclamation points are punctuation marks that show emotion. I used an exclamation point to show how much I enjoyed the tea house.
Grammar Activity: Write a sentence containing an exclamation point.

No comments:

Post a Comment